From Tom W. Smith/Senior Fellow at NORC at the University of Chicago:
On December 18th, the existing GSS website will be replaced by a new site at http://gss.norc.org/. Past users of the GSS website should find essentially the same information and content that existed on the old site. Among the major changes are the following:
- NESSTAR is no longer part of the GSS website and many of its features have been replaced by GSS Data Explorer (see description below).
-A bibliography of GSS and International Social Survey Program (ISSP) research publications has been expanded to cover over 25,000 entries.
The GSS Data Explorer https://gssdataexplorer.norc.org/ is a component of the GSS website. Users can both analyze and save the GSS data online; share their work with others; and download entire datasets or limited extracts for analysis in many different statistical software program. Features of the GSS Data Explorer include:
· Integrated, nuanced search by year, subject, variable, and question text
· The ability to export full datasets or individual variables for analysis in almost any statistical software program
· The capacity to conduct online analysis and to save and share variables and analysis
· Social media tools enabling users to share findings with broader communities
· Tools for facilitating classroom teaching using the GSS
· GSS Trends reports for the media in 2012 and 2014
· An option to send queries to GSS staff
· More features under development